The Care & Guidance You Need After a Collision
Car accidents are life-altering events. Even a minor fender-bender has the potential to result in costly bills, significant time spent recovering from injuries, and devastating emotional effects. Every car accident case must be taken seriously, regardless of the details of your situation.
At Doran & Cawthorne, P.L.L.C., we are committed to helping car accident victims and their families recover the compensation they deserve to recover from their injuries and move on with their lives after a tragedy. Whether this is done through an insurance claim or lawsuit, we have the skills and resources to achieve a favorable resolution for you.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Almost everyone exhibits some kind of unsafe behavior while driving. From going a few miles over the speed limit to being distracted by the radio, everyone has been guilty of these actions at one time or another.
While they may not seem like a big deal in the moment, it is true that even a small moment of less-than-safe driving can result in an accident. Of course, there are also the more obvious examples of unsafe vehicle operation, such as drunk driving.
The following issues may have been factors in your car accident:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Defects in a vehicle or vehicle parts
- Poor road construction
- Outside forces, such as inclement weather
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Following a car accident, you have multiple options for ways to recover compensation. An insurance claim is one of these options. Louisiana is considered an “at-fault” state for car insurance, so drivers who have been injured in a car accident must file a claim with the liable driver’s insurance company in order to recover compensation for your damages.
After a car accident in Louisiana, it is likely that the at-fault driver’s insurance company will attempt to contact you. It is important that you do not talk to the insurance company without your attorney. As much as it may seem like the insurance company is trying to help you, their ultimate goal is making money, and they do this by paying as little in settlements as possible.
Without the guidance of a lawyer, many people mistakenly say things to insurance companies that can jeopardize their case. We will stand by your side to ensure your rights are protected and that you get the compensation you need.
Determining Liability for a Car Accident
In order to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages after a car accident, you must first identify who caused the crash. In many cases, fault seems obvious, as you can clearly see who you collided with.
However, your situation may not be as clear-cut as you think — a multitude of unseen factors could have been at play in your accident. For example, while a collision may appear to be a simple case of driver negligence, it’s possible that a malfunction in their vehicle hindered their driving ability. In which case, the car manufacturer would be at least partially to blame.
Liable parties in your car accident case may include:
- The driver you collided with
- Another driver
- A vehicle manufacturer
- A mechanic
- A construction company or municipality responsible for maintaining the roads
When To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
As a general guideline, it’s best to contact a lawyer after a car accident as soon as you can. There are a couple reasons for this, the first being the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is a law which places a specific limit on how long injury victims have to file a claim before they lose their right to. According to the Louisiana Civil Code Article 3492 the state of Louisiana has a one-year timeline. This means you have one year to file your claim, or you will most likely be unable to do so, no matter how severe your injuries. There are some exceptions to this law where the filing time can change so it's important to speak to an attorney about the specifics of your case.
Beyond the statute of limitations, which applies to all personal injury claims, car accident injuries are typically different than other injuries in that they are most usually soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries are injuries that affect the tendons, ligaments, and muscles. These types of injuries can be tricky in that they usually progressively get worse over a few days or weeks after the injury occurred.
Because of this time delay, many injury victims sign a compensation agreement with an insurance company before talking to a car accident attorney only to discover later that their injuries are worse than they initially believed but are not able to recover any additional compensation. If you have suffered injuries at the hands of a negligent driver, talk to our Opelousas car accident attorney for help today!
Maximizing Your Car Accident Compensation
After a car accident, it can be overwhelming to deal with the aftermath, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. At Doran & Cawthorne, our Opelousas car accident lawyers are dedicated to helping you maximize your compensation and get the care and support you need during this difficult time.
We work tirelessly to ensure that you receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including future treatment costs
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Property damage, such as vehicle repairs or replacement
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress and mental anguish
- Other damages related to your car accident
Don't let the stress of a car accident weigh you down. Let our Opelousas car crash attorneys handle your case so you can focus on healing. Here are some ways we can help:
- Thorough investigation: Our experienced attorneys will conduct a detailed investigation into the accident, gathering evidence such as police reports, witness statements, and medical records to build a strong case for maximum compensation.
- Calculating damages: We will work closely with you to understand the full extent of your injuries and damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future medical needs. Our goal is to ensure that you receive fair compensation for all of your losses.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and overwhelming. Our skilled negotiators will handle all communications with insurance adjusters on your behalf, fighting for a fair settlement that reflects the true value of your claim.
- Litigation if necessary: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, our dedicated trial attorneys are prepared to take your case to court. We will aggressively advocate for your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Factors That Affect Your Car Accident Compensation
Car accidents can result in a variety of physical, emotional, and financial damages. If you were injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. However, the amount of compensation you receive will depend on several factors.
Factors that can affect your car accident compensation may include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment and rehabilitation
- The extent of your property damage
- The impact of the accident on your daily life and ability to work
- The insurance coverage of the at-fault driver
- The strength of your legal case and evidence
At Doran & Cawthorne, P.L.L.C., we are dedicated to helping you maximize your compensation. We understand the complex legal and insurance issues involved in car accident cases and will fight to protect your rights and interests.
Call Our Opelousas Car Accident Lawyers to Discuss Your Case
The details of your case are completely unique, so it is important to discuss those details with an attorney. We look forward to helping you!
An injury is a devastating thing to have to deal with and a legal case on top of it can seem impossible. Our firm’s personal injury attorneys are able to offer peace of mind when you know that someone with experience and commitment is handling the situation.
When a case can’t be worked out through negotiation, Doran & Cawthorne has no qualms about taking the matter to court. Whether before a judge, or jury, we will gather the evidence necessary to present your case before the fact-finder in the best light.
It is all too common for insurance companies to offer less than what they know to be fair. Our lawyers will negotiate on your behalf, and won’t compromise for anything less than the amount they know you should be receiving.
Our lawyers don’t just talk it…we strive to deliver. You can rest assured you’ll have experienced personal injury counsel with Doran & Cawthorne on your side.
Having handled hundreds, if not thousands of injury cases in Louisiana, Texas and elsewhere, we can assess the best options for each case.
Our firm’s attorneys will guide you in the right direction to make sure your case is developed effectively to your advantage.