Defective Product Claims in Louisiana
Every day, we rely on a wide variety of products. From our vehicles to our cellphones to the medications we take, these products are meant to make our lives easier, safer, and more convenient. But when these products fail to work properly or contain inherent flaws that jeopardize our safety, they put us at serious risk.
Sadly, defective products injure and kill thousands of Americans every year. At Doran & Cawthorne, P.L.L.C., we believe that product manufacturers, distributors, and designers should be held accountable when they prioritize profits over the lives and safety of the public. If you or someone you love was harmed by a defective product, reach out to our Opelousas product liability lawyers to learn how we can help you fight for the justice and fair compensation you deserve.
When Is a Product Considered Defective?
In a world where accidents happen and injuries can’t always be avoided, it’s important to distinguish between products that are simply dangerous and those that contain inherent flaws. In the simplest terms, a product is considered “defective” if it doesn’t work as intended or advertised, or if it poses an unreasonable risk of injury to the user.
To have a product liability case, you will likely need to prove each of the following elements:
- You were injured and suffered measurable damages
- Your injuries were caused by a certain product
- The product in question contained some type of defect
- You were using the product correctly when the incident occurred
- The product had not been modified or altered in any way
Someone who uses a power tool may be injured, but that does not necessarily mean they have a case. Instead, they’ll have to prove that they were using the power tool correctly and that their injuries were only the result of a product defect, such as a missing safety guard.
Types of Product Defects
While different types of products can contain a nearly infinite number of defects, these defects typically fall into one of three categories:
- Design Defects: A design defect refers to an inherent flaw within the design of the product. These types of defects affect entire lines of products rather than individual units, generally rendering these products unreasonably unsafe for normal, typical use.
- Manufacturing Defects: Manufacturing defects occur when products are properly designed but a flaw is introduced at some point in the production process. This includes products that are incorrectly manufactured, missing parts, or contaminated.
- Labeling/Marketing Defects: A product may have a labeling defect when it is missing or contains improper instructions, safety warnings, and other labels. A marketing defect is similar, but it refers to the improper advertisement or marketing of a product for off-label use.
At Doran & Cawthorne, P.L.L.C., we work with accident reconstructionists, expert witnesses, and other industry professionals to determine the type of defect a product contained and how this defect led to the incident that caused our client’s injuries. This, in turn, allows us to identify the liable party and pursue legal action against them on our client’s behalf.
We are known for our aggressive and collaborative approach to litigation, pooling the experience and resources of our entire firm to develop powerful and persuasive cases. Our Opelousas product liability attorneys are not afraid to go up against powerful corporations, manufacturers, and insurance companies as we fight for fair compensation for the injured.
Common Defective Products
Any product can be defective, but some tend to more often be the subject of product liability litigation than others.
Historically, some of the most common defective products include:
- Automobiles, including defectively designed SUVs
- Auto parts, such as airbags, tires, and engine components
- Medications and medical devices
- Household appliances, including water heaters, dryers, and dishwashers
- Children’s toys, cribs, car seats, and other items
- Chemicals, solvents, dyes, and cleaners
- Herbicides and pesticides
- Electronic devices, chargers, and batteries
- E-cigarettes and vapes
- Industrial equipment and machinery
- Tools, including power tools
- Various structures, such as balconies, scaffolding, etc.
Regardless of the type of defective product that injured you or caused your loved one’s wrongful death, our team at Doran & Cawthorne, P.L.L.C. can help you seek financial compensation for your resulting medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. We are here to answer your questions and provide you with highly personalized and attentive legal guidance every step of the way.
Trust Our Defective Product Lawyers with Your Recovery
It can be difficult to prove your product liability case, especially when powerful manufacturers, distributors, and other entities are involved. We strongly encourage you to reach out to our Opelousas defective product attorneys for the legal help you need.
For almost 30 years, Doran & Cawthorne, P.L.L.C. has been fighting on behalf of everyday people right here in our community, recovering millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on their behalf. We know that no two cases are exactly alike, which is why we take the time to get to know our clients, listen to their stories, and learn the unique details of their situations. This allows us to develop innovative and individualized legal strategies with the goal of maximizing our clients’ recoveries.
An injury is a devastating thing to have to deal with and a legal case on top of it can seem impossible. Our firm’s personal injury attorneys are able to offer peace of mind when you know that someone with experience and commitment is handling the situation.
When a case can’t be worked out through negotiation, Doran & Cawthorne has no qualms about taking the matter to court. Whether before a judge, or jury, we will gather the evidence necessary to present your case before the fact-finder in the best light.
It is all too common for insurance companies to offer less than what they know to be fair. Our lawyers will negotiate on your behalf, and won’t compromise for anything less than the amount they know you should be receiving.
Our lawyers don’t just talk it…we strive to deliver. You can rest assured you’ll have experienced personal injury counsel with Doran & Cawthorne on your side.
Having handled hundreds, if not thousands of injury cases in Louisiana, Texas and elsewhere, we can assess the best options for each case.
Our firm’s attorneys will guide you in the right direction to make sure your case is developed effectively to your advantage.